Read Write Inc.
At St. Anne's we teach phonics (letter sounds) using the Read Write Inc programme.
Who is Read Write Inc for?
The RWI programme is for primary school children learning to read. We use this programme and children from Reception up to Key Stage 2 will participate in it.
RWInc enables every child to become a confident and fluent reader.
Using the RWI method:
Children in the early years learn to read confidently and fluently.
- Older children with reading difficulties make fast progress.
- Children with specific learning difficulties learn to read.
- Children are assessed so they work with children at the same level. This allows them to take full part in all lessons. They work closely with their partner, answering questions and practising activities with their partner.
- The children learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds. They learn to write words by saying sounds and graphemes. The children write ability appropriate sentences and compos stories based on picture strips. They are encourage to use their ‘Fred fingers’ in their independent writing activities.
- Children learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts. They learn to read words using sound blending. They read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out. They show that they comprehend the stories by answering ‘Find It’ and ‘Prove It’ discussion questions.
- RWI is a systematic and lively programme and is organised by the Lead practitioner in school. All the staff have been trained in delivering RWI and staff receive regular updates and training. In Reception children have daily 20 minute sessions. In Key Stage 1 children read and write for an hour each day, grouped according to their Reading level.
For those children who find phonics tricky, we have a specialist learning assistant who is trained to an extremely high level to provide additional sessions to groups of children or individuals.